No matter how many workout clothes you pack for a trip, it can be difficult to keep up with your health goals while on the go and away from your gym or studio of choice. "Staying motivated to perform your workouts comes from within," says Jacqueline Kasen, Body Architect andВ certified personal trainer at Anatomy Fitness. Her advice forВ following through with workout plans while traveling? Start early. "Set a time early in the morning, before everyone is awake," she says. "By getting it in early, you will start off the day feeling accomplished." Plus, you'll be less distracted by other people and plans first thing in the morning.
Wake up early and start your day with a few zero-equipment exercises. That way,В even if you're staying in an Airbnb or a hotel without a gym, you can still get in a full workout using just your body and the gym clothes you squeezed into your luggage. Ahead, Kasen breaks down six travel workouts you can do anywhere, anytime. Think squats, planks, lunges, and other moves that utilize your own bodyweight to create resistance and help you build muscles and burn calories. Find space in your hotel room or head to a park outside and try out this personal trainer-approved travel workout.
Kneeling to Squat PositionAshley Canario/Alchemy
1. Start off moving into a reverse lunge and rest your knee gently on the floor.
2. Match it by reversing the other leg so that you will end up with both knees on the floor.
3.В Step into a squat position one leg at a time. You want to make sure that the foot lands underneath your knee, keeping your chest upright and engaging your core.
4. Continue to go back into the lunge and land into the squat alternating the leading leg each time.
Repeat as many reps as you can with proper form for 30 seconds. If you need a modification, you are able to stand up from the lunge rather than landing into a squat.Adidas Originals = Pharrell Williams Tennis Hu sneakers $107Shop
1. Start off this position in a full-body plank. Your hands will be placed shoulder-width apart underneath your shoulders and your feet hip-width apart. Use your core to stabilize throughout your entire body.
2. Step with your right foot forward, so your foot will land flat outside your hand.
3. Step that same foot backwardВ into your plank, and then repeat with the left foot.
Alternate side to side for a total of 20 times. For a modification, you can perform this exercise on all fours rather than staying in a full-body plank.B&O Play Beoplay E8 Wireless Earphones $350Shop
Hip BridgeAshley Canario/Alchemy
1. Start off your hip bridge in a seated position with your hands turned away from you underneath your shoulders. Keep your chest upright with shoulders back.
2. Engage your core and extend your hips toward the sky with full hip extension. Maintain your eyes on your bellybutton so you do not have tension in your neck.
For an advanced version, you can perform this exercise with one leg extended out straight above you. Perform 15 times with two legs bent, or for the advanced version, 10 times on each leg.
Side Plank Leg LiftAshley Canario/Alchemy
1. Starting off in a side plank position, place your elbow directly underneath your shoulder and your legs stacked one on top of the other.
2. Keep your legs straight and lift your hips off the ground by engaging your obliques.
3. Maintain that height and lift your top leg toward the sky.
4. Lower your leg, lightly tap your hips on the floor, and repeat.
Repeat 10 times on each side.S'well Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle $35Shop
Child's Pose to Push-UpAshley Canario/Alchemy
1. Start off in a child's pose position.
2. Use your core to shift your weight forward into a modified push-up position or a full-body push-up while maintaining your core throughout.
Repeat 12 times, whether modified or full-body.The Upside Muscle Printed Cotton-Jersey Tank $80Shop
Squat/Rotating LungeAshley Canario/Alchemy
1. Start off in a squat position.
2. Maintain the squat while rotating from one lunge to the next.
3. From the squat position, pivot the right foot inward as you move into a lunge towards the left. Your other foot will still maintain at a 45-degree angle.
4. Return back to the squat and pivot the left foot as you move into a right lunge.
Alternate side to side 20 times.Hanro Touch Feeling Stretch-Jersey Soft-Cup Bra $85Shop
Give these travel workouts a try on your next trip to keep up your exercise routine no matter where you are.